Brand Name : Nifrom
Generic Name : Cefuroxime sodium injection IP
Pack Size : Vial + WFI
Dosage Form : Powder for Injection
Strength : 750 mg & 1.5 gm
Therapeutic indications : Cefuroxime sodium for injection is indicated for the treatment of infections listed below in adults and children, including neonates (from birth).
• Community acquired pneumonia
• Acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis
• Complicated urinary tract infections, including pyelonephritis
• Soft-tissue infections: cellulitis, erysipelas and wound infections
• Intra-abdominal infections
• Prophylaxis against infection in gastrointestinal (including oesophageal), orthopaedic, cardiovascular, and
gynaecological surgery (including caesarean section)
In the treatment and prevention of infections in which it is very likely that anaerobic organisms will be encountered,
cefuroxime should be administered with additional appropriate antibacterial agents.
Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.
Pharmacotherapeutic group : antibacterials for systemic use, Second-generation cephalosporins
ATC code : J01DC02
Pharmacodynamic properties : Cefuroxime inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis following attachment to penicillin binding proteins (PBPs). This results in the interruption of cell wall (peptidoglycan) biosynthesis, which leads to bacterial cell lysis and death.
February 18, 2022